I recently learned of a new app in the Google Play Store designed for children that should please plenty of adults. It’s called Samo Coloring for Kids, it’s totally free to download and use, and it’s void of any in-app advertising. In other words, this is my new favorite app for young children.
I love being able to open this up and hand it to toddlers and youngsters. There’s no risk of an accidental ad click, no temptation to open another app, and no distractions. ”Here, color me a picture!” Now I am free to drive a few more, distraction-free miles.
There are a pair of coloring modes and illustration options to choose from and Samo comes with 3 free sets of illustrations. There are additional sets available to purchase however the developer (Martin Adamek) promises more free stuff on regular basis. The graphics are clean and simple and look great on phones or tablets.
Other features of Samo Coloring for Kids:
- DRAW mode lets tiny fingers paint *only* within the lines for fine motor development and beautiful final illustrations.
- Swipe left or right to move between illustration sets. There are drawings with and without borders for varying artistic styles.
- Colors are divided into palettes of 5 complementary colors to keep it simple and focus on the drawing at hand. Swipe left/right to change palettes (30 different colors in all).
- Choose from full pages to color or fill in black and white drawings on a lush, painted background.
- Undo/Redo mistakes.
- Save to gallery to keep a record of your child’s art.